Friday, September 13, 2013

Greek Turkey Meatballs with Tzatziki and Marina

This has been the longest week in all of history; I'm sure of it!!!!  I had a meeting after school on Monday, training all day Tuesday, Open House on Wednesday, my evaluation yesterday, and a full day today.  Not to mention trying to get ahead in reading for my Doctoral program.


And lots of planning....


Luckily, I have company!  It's a true family affair.  We all sit around the kitchen table working on homework (the boys are in school, the Hubs is taking classes, and I start again on the 24th - EEEK!).

This is how it is lately... I was so excited that today is Friday!!!  Even with the insanity of the week, I cooked every night (except Wednesday when we had left overs after Open House).  I came home today  ready to cook something amazing.  Call me crazy if you must (and I know those of you who know me will corroborate that craziness) but there's something about cooking that calms me.  It's a lovely transition from my day to my evening.

Today, it was Greek Turkey Meatballs with a quick marinara and Tzatziki Sauce.  My tastebuds did a dance!!!



Meatballs
1 package ground turkey (about a pound)
1 egg
1 jarred roasted red pepper, chopped (I used the food processor)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian herb)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon tomato paste
juice of half of one lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Chop the roasted red pepper in the food processor.  I could have done it by hand but I really love my food processor.  Put the turkey in a bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix.  I use a spoon because I don't love the feel of ground meat.  Form meatballs; about 24 total.


Cook the meatballs in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  While the meatballs are cooking, cook a package of Orzo (or any pasta you like) according to package instructions.


Quick Marinara
1 14.5 oz can tomato puree
1/4 cup bell pepper chopped
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more of less to taste - I used more because we love pepper!!!)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon oregano

Heat the oil in a pan.  Add the onions and peppers.  Sauté for a minute or two.  Add the garlic. Cook for another minute.  Add the tomato puree.  Stir in the sugar.  Add salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer on low until you're ready to eat.

Tzatziki Sauce
3 tablespoons sour cream (or plain yogurt - I prefer sour cream)
3 tablespoons chopped cucumber
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
salt and pepper to taste <= I don't use a lot of salt so I use it sparingly.  You may want more.

Mix all of the ingredients together.  It gets better then longer it sits so I make this before I do anything else.  

Go watch tv for a few minutes. Play with dog.  Snog with the husband.  Cuddle with the Middle Schooler when no one else is looking.  Get on Facebook and see what you missed while you were at work. This is what I did while the food cooked.  

This was soooo good.  The Middle Schooler at plain Orzo.  Shrug.  He's not a very adventurous eater and I'm okay so long as he takes a courtesy bite to try the food.  He wasn't a fan of the meatballs or either sauce.  I'll keep offering...  The Husband had two servings and the High Schooler ate a giant bowl full.  He said the Tzatziki was his favorite part.  Mine too.  I might add an additional roasted red pepper next time and leave out the parmesan just to make it with fewer (less? - Way to go English teacher!) calories.  


My belly is happy.  We're going to watch our school's football team online (GO JAGS!!!!) if we can figure it out how to play it on the Wii or the laptop.

Until then....  



No comments:

Post a Comment