Saturday, October 12, 2013

Green Chile and Bacon Breakfast Burritos

It's Fall Break!!!!  I cannot believe we are already half way through the semester!!!  Fall Break is synonymous with Balloon Fiesta here in ABQ!  Every October, balloonists from around the world gather at Balloon Fiesta park.  It's amazing to see!  We didn't go this year but Balloon Fiesta and Green Chile season are Fall in New Mexico!


(picture: www.100lonelyplaces.com)

When we go to Balloon Fiesta, we always get breakfast burritos from one of the vendors.  We can get breakfast burritos on just about any corner here...  Frontier and Golden Pride are our favorites but we also enjoy Blake's Lotta Burger too.

I make them at home quite often.  It's all about the roasted green chile.  This time of year, you can find roasted green chiles at every grocery store or farmer's market.  It smells amazing!!!

(picture: www.robbwalsh.com)

I usually buy the chiles already roasted and freeze them.  We got this year's batch from Sichler Farms.  Roasting them yourself is easy but it's nice to have them in the freezer, ready to go.

If you want to roast you own, this is how I do it:



Place the fresh green chiles in a bowl.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Toss them on a smoking hot grill, turning often.  Cook until the skins are charred, about 15 minutes.  You can also do this in the oven.  Remove the chiles from the grill (or oven).  Put them in a plastic zipper baggie (or paper bag if you have one).  This allows the chiles to steam and loosens the skins.  A lot of times, I skip this step because a) I'm lazy and b) it's easy to scrape the skin off when they've thawed.  If I'm going to use the chiles immediately, I do this.  After the chiles have cooled enough to handle, place them on a cutting board and scrape the skin off with the edge of your knife.  If you prefer a milder chile, scrape out the seeds as well.  I like mine hot so I leave the seeds in.  Chop the green chiles.  Use to top anything you'd like....  breakfast burritos,  tacos, hot fudge sundae (sounds peculiar but oh, so yummy!!!).



Green Chile Breakfast Burritos (makes 8 burritos)
1 package flour tortillas (or corn if you prefer or can't eat gluten)
1 package bacon, cooked - We use Oscar Meyer turkey bacon
1 dozen scrambled eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice - I use sharp cheddar
4 - 5 cooked and diced potatoes (or hash browns/tater tots)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Green chiles
Additional cheese for topping burritos
Sliced green onions, optional
Sour cream, optional

Cooked Potatoes
Peel and dice four or five potatoes.  Place in a cold skillet and cook over medium to medium high heat until done.  If I'm in a hurry, I add water to boil them a little first.  Add the oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until brown and tender. You can use frozen hash browns or tater tots as well. I've even used frozen french fries out of desperation before.

Scrambled Eggs
1 dozen eggs, scrambled
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Scramble the eggs.  Mix in cheese.  Sprinkle in salt and pepper.  Pour into a heated skillet.  Over medium heat, cook the eggs slowly.  Scrape the eggs off the bottom and sides with a spatula, allowing the wet egg mixture to fill in the holes.  Cook to desired consistency.  I like my eggs just done.  I don't want them runny but I don't like them well done either.

Warm the tortillas.  I toss them directly on the stove burner for about 10 seconds and then flip them to warm the other side.  I've burnt more than my fair share of tortillas by trying to multitask.

Assemble the burrito - put a tortilla on a plate.  Along an edge, layer eggs, potatoes, bacon, and green chiles.  Top with cheese and other toppings.  Roll up.  Eat!




I love this recipe because it's easy and it's customizable.  The Fussy Eater leaves off the chile,  The Husband uses less egg.  My father-in-law uses less chile. The Teen and I use a LOT!!!

Happy Fall!  I'm going to read a book and spend some time on Pinterest and Food Gawker.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment