Saturday, January 4, 2014

Smoked Beef Roast

I've wanted a smoker for ages!  The Husband generously shared some of his stockpile of gift cards.  This lovely fellow moved in the other day...


After pre-seasoning, I was ready to rock and roll!!!  I had a small beef roast in the freezer that I really had no plans for whatsoever.  But enter Mr. Smokey (I name things... shrug) and I was stoked!!!!  





Smoked Beef Roast
2.5 pound beef roast (I used a top round roast) <= In the future, I'll use a brisket or tri-tip
1 tablespoon Canadian Steak seasoning (I had McCormick)
3 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Bring the beef to room temperature. Place in a baking pan.  Mix the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce together.  Pour over the beef roast.  Sprinkle steak seasoning over the roast.

Soak 2 cups of wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes. Heat the smoker to 225 degrees.  Add water to the water pan and place the chips in the chip pan. I cooked my roast in a baking pan. Cook for 3 - 4 hours or until done.  I cooked mine to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  Next time, I will cook it longer so it is more tender.

If you don't have a smoker, you can still make smoked beef on your grill.  Heat one side of the grill to 225 degrees. Put the soaked wood chips in foil packet and a bowl of water (metal or grill proof) on the unheated side of the grill.  Place the beef roast (in a cooking pan) on the heated side of the grill.  Cook for 3 - 4 hours.

I had plans to make cole slaw to top the beef but we didn't have any mayo.  Or good rolls.  Eyes rolling.  That's what happens when the whole family is home from school for 2 weeks.  We eat all the good stuff first.  The fam had no patience to wait for me to make anything else so we had some chips and good old potato bread!  Add a little barbecue sauce or hot sauce and BAM!  Your taste buds will give you a standing ovation!

No comments:

Post a Comment