Monday, October 21, 2013

Asian Meatballs in Teriyaki Sauce with Coconut Rice

Life is hectic.  That's why I don't post as often as I'd like.  I have good reasons.  I'm a mother.  I'm a wife.  I'm a teacher.  I'm a doctoral student.  I'm BUSY!!!!  I'm tired.  All. The. Time. Would I love more free time?  Maybe - a bored Val is a dangerous Val...  BWAHAHAHA!!!!!



This recipe is super easy!  I cook a lot of Asian inspired dishes so I always have these ingredients on hand.  These meatballs are so good and the sauce is probably the best teriyaki sauce known to man!!!


Asian Meatballs
2 pounds ground pork (I used reduced fat)
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
3 whole green onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
salt and pepper

Dump all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Mix well.  Form into tablespoon sized balls.  Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure doneness - 165 degrees is well done for pork.  This makes about 30 meatballs.  While the meatballs are cooking, make the rice (recipe below).



Teriyaki Sauce (this makes a lot of sauce - half it for a smaller batch - we like sauce!)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar (or less to taste)
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Add all of the ingredients except 1/2 cup of water and cornstarch to a pan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil.  Mix the 1/2 cup water and cornstarch until smooth.  Pour into the soy sauce mixture.  Stir and bring to a gentle boil until thickened.  This only takes 2 -3 minutes!


Once the meatballs are done, toss them in the sauce to marry the flavors.




Coconut Rice
2 cups jasmine rice
1 can coconut milk
1 can chicken broth
water (see below)

Heat a pan on the stove.  Add the rice.  Toast the rice for a minute or two.  It gives the rice a nuttier flavor.

Pour the coconut milk and chicken broth into a measuring cup.  Add enough water to equal 4 cups of liquid.  Add the liquid to the pan with the rice.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and turn the heat to low.  Cook on low for 18 - 20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.  Remove the rice from the heat and let it steam for about 5 minutes.

Serve the meatballs and sauce over the rice.  Dig in.  Your tastebuds will high five you!!!



It took me about 45 minutes, including baking time, to make this meal.  While the meatballs were baking, the husband and I played with Leo.


I'm getting the stink eye because someone wants attention...



No comments:

Post a Comment