Sunday, October 6, 2013

Cheesy Green Chile & Jalapeno Dip

It's green chile season in New Mexico!!!  There's nothing like the smell of roasting green chile in the air!  We love green chile in our house!!!  I've been making a lot of things with green chile lately.

Green Chile Stew

Green Chile Breakfast Bowl

Green Chile Breakfast Burrito

Oh YUMMMMMMMMMY!  I'm even considering making my sausage gravy with green chile in it.  I have a recipe brewing in my brain for a creamy potato soup with green chile and bacon (or smoked sausage).

Before I started this blog, I wanted to write a cookbook with an emphasis on dips.  I love making dip.  Last night was a perfect opportunity to make one I haven't made in a long time.  We had some friends over - It was so nice to unwind with people that we adore!  I made salsa (with a few changes from my usual recipe because Walmart didn't have the chiles I use and I forgot to buy a lime), edamame, and a veggie plate with Cheesy Green Chile & Jalapeño Dip.  [Side note:  The Husband and I have done our big grocery shopping at the Commissary since we got married.  The commissary was closed this week with the government shutdown.  Fingers crossed; I've heard it will reopen this week.]



Ohhhh the dip!!!!  It was soooo good!  When I bought the jalapeños yesterday, the grocer said he thought they looked like a hot batch.  Oh, indeed!!!  This dip had ZIP!





Cheesy Green Chile & Jalapeño Dip
1 package cream cheese (at room temperature)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 Jalapeño
1 roasted green chile
1/4 small onion
salt to taste

In a food processor, chop the jalapeño, green chile, and onion.  If you don't have access to fresh jalapeños or green chiles, you can use canned.  When I run out of the fresh roasted chiles (we buy a bunch and freeze them), I buy the Bueno Fall Roast in the freezer section.  If you prefer a milder dip, scrape out the seeds and membranes from the jalapeño and the seeds from the green chile before adding them to the food processor.  Just don't touch your eyes because the oils from the chiles will burn!!!  I'd recommend wearing plastic gloves to do this.

Add the sour cream and pulse until blended.  Add the cheddar and pulse until mixed well.  Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth.

Use a spatula to scrape the dip into a bowl.  Serve with fresh veggies or chips.  We had plain potato chips, tortilla chips, and pumpkin chips.  All delicious!  I'm making Gyros for dinner. I'm making Tzatziki sauce but think the leftover cheesy green chile & jalapeño dip will pair nicely too!

I hope you enjoy this dip as much as we did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment