Sunday, September 1, 2013

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

I grew up eating scalloped potatoes with ham and peas.  When we got married and moved to Japan, The Husband and I wanted scalloped potatoes one night for dinner.  We didn't have the internet and there was a 13 hour time difference.  It was really expensive to call home to get my mom's recipe so I became really good friends with my Betty Crocker cookbook.  The recipe was different than what I grew up with but it turned out sooooo good!!!!  I've made a few modifications since then (no peas for one...) ... But when don't I????


5 pound bag of potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 cups milk
5 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
5 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup diced ham
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan.  Add the onion to the pan.  Cook 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the ham.  Cook until browned.  Add the flour.  Stir until mixed.  Add the milk.  Whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Layer peeled and sliced potatoes into a casserole dish.  Pour the milk, ham, onion mixture together.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for  1 1/2 to 2 hours (or until done).  We had enough for 5 of us plus 2 big servings for lunch at work the next day.

Serve with salad.  This one was spinach and arugula with strawberries, red onion, cucumber, celery, and walnuts.




No one liked them.... Clearly.




No comments:

Post a Comment