Monday, December 30, 2013

Reuben Sandwiches with Homemade Thousand Island Dressing

I woke up today convinced that Christmas was going away.  I started by putting my gifts away.  I got more scrapbooking stuff.  I put that all away.  Then I organized my closet. 



In the process, I found my original idea book.


I haven't progressed much...




I cleaned the closet.  Except for the shoes...  That's a big ol' mess.  I needed sustenance first.  




Reuben Sandwiches (makes 6)
1 pound thin sliced corned beef (I used Boar's Head)
1 loaf dark rye bread
4 slices Swiss cheese (I used Boar's Head Lacy Swiss)
1 onion
1 can sauerkraut
Thousand Island Dressing (recipe below)
Butter (melted)

Thousand Island Dressing
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chili sauce (or ketchup if you don't have any)
1 teaspoon sour cream
1 teaspoon dill pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
pinch salt

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.  Allow to sit while making the sandwiches.


Slice the onion.  Put it in a pan with a pat of butter.  Add a little salt and pepper.  Cook on low until caramelized.

Heat a stove top griddle (or pan if don't have one).  Warm the corned beef on the griddle.


Once all of the corned beef is warm, place it on a plate.


Brush the bottom side of each slice of bread with the melted butter.  Place it butter side down on the griddle.  Top with a smear of Thousand Island Dressing.  [I'm the only one who eats it that way at my house].  Top half of the bread with meat and half a slice of the swiss cheese.  Then add the onions and the sauerkraut (that's just me again!).  Place the other half on top.  Slice in half.  Serve with soup.






I had a use a knife and fork to eat this like a lady.  After we ate, I had the fortitude necessary to organize my shoes.  I only have 41 pairs.  :)




Interesting juxtaposition and total insight into who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment