Monday, July 22, 2013

Better than Chipotle Bowls

I had a crummy day.  I was in a crummy mood.  There used to be a commercial on TV for some microwaveable meal thing and the tag line was something like, "Who wants to come home and chop and dice after a long day at work?"  ME!!!!  There is something therapeutic about chopping and dicing and creating yummy goodness for my family after a crummy day.  I thought I wanted a glass of wine.  Turns out it tasted awful and wasn't what I needed at all.

My husband met me at the door with a big hug. I cooked a great dinner and now we're sitting on the sofa getting ready to watch last night's True Blood.  My crummy day turned into an AMAZING evening.

I love Chipotle bowls. If you've never been to Chipotle Mexican Grill; it is healthy fast food.  They have burritos, tacos, bowls, and salads.  I get the salad when I don't want rice but mostly, I eat the bowls.  I've never tried the tacos but they look delicious.  I had a burrito once and ended up not eating the majority of the tortilla (carbs...).  I get the brown cilantro lime rice, black beans, grilled veggies (peppers and onions), chicken or beef, a little cheese, a little sour cream, and a little guacamole.  I request the sour cream and guac on the side and share them with my husband.  They have a corn salsa and a green salsa that are both delicious.  Once I had the bowl, I knew I could recreate it at home and know exactly what went into it.

Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lime
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.


After marinating, put the chicken on the grill.  Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Rice
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups water
1/2 one small onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons caldo de pollo (chicken bouillon)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, warm the oil.  Add the onion until translucent.  Add the rice.  Cook on high for a minute or two.  Add the caldo de pollo and the water.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to low.  Cover.  Cook on low for 20 minutes.  When the rice is cooked, stir in the lime juice and the chopped cilantro.  Cover with plastic wrap and set aside while the chicken cooks.

Peppers & Onions
1/2 large onion
1 bell pepper
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

Black Beans
Drain and rinse one can of black beans.  Heat on the stove.

Heat the oil in a pan.  Add the peppers and onions.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Stir often until cooked to desired tenderness.  [We prefer our peppers and onions slightly crunchy]

Assemble the bowls.


Rice first.  Then add the beans.


Add the veggies


Next is the chicken.  It's hard not to nibble the chicken while it's waiting to be added to the bowl!

Top with whatever toppings you like.  I personally LOVE avocado, jalapeño (green) salsa [bottled], sour creams, and sliced jalapeño  peppers.  I didn't have any cheese but it didn't really need it.


Dig in!

My husband swears that if we did a side-by-side, blind taste test we wouldn't be able to taste the difference.  This is an easy weeknight meal that comes together in under an hour; even less if you put the chicken in the marinade in the morning or the evening before you go to bed.

True Blood is calling...  This newest season is CRAZY!!!  I can't wait to see what kind of mess Sookie gets herself into this evening!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment