Tuesday, July 16, 2013

To meat or not to meat...

The boys wanted meatballs.  We had beef yesterday.  I cannot eat beef 2 days in a row.  My tummy rebels.  We didn't have any ground turkey and after a hectic day, I didn't have it in me to go to the store.

(picture source: Biscuits & Banarsi)

So, before I left for work, I took out a package of ground beef.  I told The Husband that in addition to the beef meatballs, I planned to make Italian Veggie Balls as well.  He isn't a fan of beans - at all.  In fact, none of My Menfolk like beans. I love them.  Growing up, my Grandma always told me, "You cook for your husband."  I don't make any meals unless they're Husband approved.  The recipes for my meatballs and veggie balls  share the same ingredients so it wasn't too much of an effort to make both.  I wasn't in the mood for pasta.  I really wanted veggie ball sandwiches but didn't have any rolls.  I did have naan that we bought on impulse at Sprouts this weekend.

I really wanted something simple to make tonight because I have been battling a bit of a migraine and am just really tired.  Cooking calms me.  This meal is ideal.  It's an easy and fast weeknight meal.  

Meatballs
1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash italian medley seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl.  I don't love getting my hands dirty but I'll do it for meatballs.  Once all of the ingredients are mixed together, form 1" meatballs.  Place on a foil lined cookie sheet.  Cook in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are done.  

Italian Veggie Balls
1 16 ounce can black beans
1 cup fresh spinach
1/2 small onion
1 egg
1/2 cup italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash italian medley seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


Have I mentioned my love of my food processor?  Oh how I love my food processor!!!  Toss everything into the food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well blended.




The mixture is a little sticky.  Form 1" balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Cook in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.  


While the meatballs and veggie balls are cooking, heat some spaghetti sauce on the stovetop.  I didn't have any homemade in the freezer so I just used a jar of marinara I had in the pantry.  If I was making this on a weekend or a day off, I would make my homemade sauce.  

Once the meatballs and veggie balls are cooked, remove from the oven.  Mix in separate bowls with the marinara, leaving some out for the naan.

Place the naan on foil.  Spread a little marinara on each piece of naan.  Top with meatballs or veggie balls and cheese.  


This is mine with veggie balls.  My Menfolk all used meatballs.  The Middle Schooler added pepperoni to his.  The High Schooler had meatballs and veggie balls.  He was shocked that the veggie balls are made from black beans and spinach.  He thought they were really good.  

You can cook these in the oven or on the grill.  I love cooking on the grill so that's what I decided to do tonight.  The kitchen was really warm after cooking the meatballs and it's nice and cool today.  Put the foil with the naan on the grill.  Close the lid and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  





                                          Italian Veggie Balls

                                          Meatballs

The Husband tried one of the veggie balls.  He said they were really good.  He wished they were flatter so they didn't have a bean-y texture on the inside.  The outside has a nice crispy texture and the inside is smooth and almost creamy.  The flavor is spot on for a meatball without the heaviness of a meatball.  I love this recipe!!!  It's a great alternative for a meatless meal!  


No comments:

Post a Comment