Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fish Tacos

Cooking fish terrifies me!  Yes; TERRIFIES!  I haven't tried cooking it myself in years and to be honest, those attempts weren't especially successful.  I enjoy fish when I order it at restaurants but recently we've stopped eating out very often.  I love eating out but don't like the way I feel afterwards.  I like knowing exactly what is in my family's meals.

A few weeks ago, I met up with the Lovely Ladies O' Literary Wonder at a local cafe which specializes in local, organic, all-natural foods.  One of my Lovelies ordered fish tacos.  They were really good but - as with most meals I eat - I started writing a recipe for my own fish tacos in my head.  That recipe has been floating around in the great abyss that is is my brain ever since.  The Husband told me to just make it already!  I'm so very glad I did!

Cod was on sale at Sprouts today so I bought 2 big fillets.  I made pickled purple cabbage, mango salsa, and sriracha sour cream sauce to top the grilled cod.  I served the tacos with plantain chips and white rice.

Grilled Cod
2 large cod fillets (I used roughly 1 3/4 pounds)
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning
2 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder (or 1 clove finely minced fresh garlic)
1 teaspoon Chile Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together all ingredients (except the cod) and whisk until blended.  Place cod on a platter.  Brush marinade over fish.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to grill.  Prepare the pickled purple cabbage, mango salsa, and sour cream sauce.



I turned the grill on before starting the rice.  Preheat the grill on high.  Place the fish on a grill pan (or a piece of foil).  Cook for 8 - 12 minutes or until fish is opaque and flaky.




Pickled Purple Cabbage Slaw
Fish tacos beg for the crunch of cabbage.  This slaw has a tangy sweetness that is perfect for the fish and spicy salsa and sour cream sauce.

1 small bag purple cabbage
1/2 Lite Rice Vinegar (I use Marukan brand but you could substitute white or apple cider vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt.  Pour over the cabbage.  Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to incorporate.

Mango Salsa
2 Champagne Mangoes
Juice of 1 lime
1 medium Jalapeño pepper
1/4 small onion
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or finely minced fresh garlic)
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Dash cayenne pepper

I love my food processor!!!  Place Jalapeño, onion, and cilantro in the food processor.  Pulse until finely  minced.  Scrape into a bowl.  Squeeze lime juice over the mixture.  Rough chop the mango and pulse in the food processor until minced.  Add to the bowl.  Add the honey, garlic, and salt.  Mix together.  Cover and set aside until ready to serve.

Sriracha Sour Cream Sauce
3 tablespoons lite sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped green onion (green parts only)
2 teaspoons sriracha (or other hot sauce you like - to taste)
2 teaspoons lime juice

Mix all of the ingredients together.

Rice
1 1/2 cups long grain rice (I use Jasmine)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 small onion
1 teaspoon Caldo de Pollo (chicken bouillon)
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  Add onion.  Cook on medium heat until cooked; approximately 3 minutes.  Add the rice.  Stir.  Cook another minute or two.  Add water and Caldo de Pollo.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.  Once the rice is cooked, place in a bowl.  Squeeze lime juice over the rice and stir in the cilantro.

Once the fish is cooked, assemble the taco.  Layer fish, slaw, mango salsa, sour cream sauce, and additional cilantro.  Serve with the rice.




Even my 12-year-old - who is perhaps the fussiest eater on the planet - gave this meal two thumbs up!  Next time I make this, I will double the recipe for the sour cream sauce.  I declare this meal VALICIOUS!!!










2 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely amazing! I cannot wait to try it for my grandma!!

    ReplyDelete